Updated March 2015
1.3 Please note that we cannot and do not assume any responsibility for the privacy or security practices of any other web sites which you may be able to access through our site, or for our customers' level of compliance with our code.
2. What Information Do We Collect?
WebCentral collects different information about you at different times. These are the broad categories of information that we collect from you:
2.1 Information we require to supply our services.
- When you first sign up or contract with WebCentral for our services, or when you make an inquiry about our services, we collect information such as your name, address, telephone number, domain name, email details of your primary and secondary contacts, credit card details (if you are paying online). We may also collect other identifying details such as your age and gender. In order to verify your identity, we will ask you to provide questions and answers to security questions.
- We may also monitor and/or record telephone conversations with you from time to time in order to train staff and to improve our service to you.
2.2 Non personally identifying information.
- In addition to the information you specifically provide above, WebCentral operates statistics gathering software on its web site to collect information about the number of visitors coming to the site. No identifying information is collected by this software. The software records the IP address of the visitor only. We use this information to improve our own technical structure and performance, and to determine which areas of our web site are most popular.
2.3 Other demographic information.
We may use your information to measure your experiences of our products/services/website, improve or develop our products/services/website, and perform research and analysis. Also, if you respond voluntarily to any of our surveys or other interactive communications, we will collect those responses and use the information to improve the quality and range of WebCentral's products and services.
3. How Do We Use Personal Information We Have Collected?
3.1 We collect and use your personal information to operate our web site and deliver our services to you. We will use your personal information to provide you with: sales and technical support, billing and credit control, product upgrades and information, renewal notices, maintenance notices, system changes and other functions relevant to your services with us.
3.2 When you contract with WebCentral for our services or make enquiries of our services, you will be requested to provide your consent to us to send promotional material to you. You may stop the delivery or "opt out" of future promotional email from WebCentral by following the specific instructions in the email you receive. These instructions will tell you how to remove your name from our promotional email list.
3.3 We may use your personal information to:
- contact you in relation to upgrading your use of our services, special offers (from us, or on behalf of third parties), with newsletters, surveys, and individual service audits, or in response to any expression of interest we may receive from you in relation to our products and services;
- identify the source of new customers to WebCentral;
- monitor and address complaints, other feedback, and to resolve disputes;
- in the case of credit cards, to bill you for services;
- in the case of ABNs, to verify your identity;
- maintain a technical and account history of your dealings with us, and to re-establish your account with us where you rejoin as a customer within a reasonable time after having terminated your account;
- monitor your compliance with our Acceptable Use Policy and other terms and conditions of supply;
- comply with our reporting and other obligations to third party suppliers and licensors (such as reporting to software suppliers the number and identity of software licenses we have issued as part of our products and personal information required by the provider of digital certificates);
- comply with our obligations as a domain name reseller, via our registrar, to make available your personal information on the publicly accessible WHOIS domain name database.
3.4 We will treat all information we collect from you as strictly confidential. WebCentral does not rent or lease its customer lists to third parties. We will not reveal, disclose, sell, distribute, rent, licence, share or pass onto any third party (other than those who are contracted or supply services to WebCentral including of spam filter operators) any personal information that you may have provided to us unless we have your express consent to do so, other than in the circumstances set out in the next paragraph.
3.5 We will disclose your personal information, without notice or your consent, only:
- if we are required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform with the laws, applicable code of conduct or legal process served on us in relation to our business or web site;
- to protect and defend the rights or property of WebCentral;
- if we consider it necessary to do so in order to enforce or apply the terms of any of our agreements with you;
- to contractors providing licensed collections services, credit card payment processing and CRM services, who comply with our privacy and security policies;
- if we sell our business or part of it; and
- in extreme circumstances, to protect the personal safety of users of WebCentral's services, its web site, our staff or the public.
4. Disclosure of your information to third parties
WebCentral is part of the Melbourne IT group of companies which has offices in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. The Melbourne IT group also has international subsidiary company offices operating in New Zealand and the USA. Any information which you supply to WebCentral will be shared within the internal company group to facilitate our provision of products and services to you. Each member of the Melbourne IT group of companies is committed to protecting your personal information.
We may supply your personal information to third parties to perform services on our behalf such as:
- market research and the distribution of marketing information to you (except where you have chosen to opt out of receiving this information from us);
- assisting us with the purposes for which we have collected and use your personal information;
- the supply of domain name services, website design, SEO and other services (providers in Australia, US and The Philippines);
- call centre and support services (provider in The Philippines).
Our relationships with such third party service providers are governed by our contracts with them. In some cases, those third party service providers who we disclose your personal information to may reside outside of Australia. Those service contracts contain privacy and confidentiality provisions which are consistent with the Australian Privacy Law obligations.
5.1 WebCentral has implemented security features in our database to protect your personal information from unauthorised access. We maintain our servers in a controlled, secured environment. Only staff who need to have access to your personal information in order to perform their job function are authorised to access the database. Constant changes to the Internet and technology mean that we cannot guarantee that data transmission will be 100% secure, or safe from attack by unauthorised intruders.
5.2 In order to protect the security of personal information transmitted to WebCentral online, our web servers support the use of the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Protocol where appropriate. Using this protocol, information transferred between our systems is encrypted.
6. Other Disclosure By You
6.1 You might provide personal information through your participation in chat sessions, email exchanges or newsgroups accessed via our web sites, or another service provided by WebCentral. This information is public and immediately available to anyone who has access to such a site; it is not private. WebCentral urges you to enter only information that you are comfortable to share with the public at large in this public domain.
6.2 You should never reveal your password to third parties. If you lose control of your password, you may lose control over your personal information and may be liable for actions taken on your behalf by third parties using your password and/or personal information. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately change it.
6.3 If you collect personal information which you keep on servers provided by WebCentral as part of our service to you (including email), you alone are responsible for compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) in respect of that information. We take no responsibility for your dealings with personal information you collect.
7. How To Access & Correct Your Personal Information
7.1 From time to time you may need to update your personal information. We keep this information in a secure environment which you can access through Mission Control at https://mc-au.server-secure.com/. In order to amend any of your personal information, you will be required to give your user name and password.
7.2 If you contact us via telephone, you will need to answer a few security questions before any personal information is revealed or amended.
8. Children's Privacy
WebCentral does not knowingly collect, use or market any information to children without seeking parental or a guardian's consent. We also urge you to familiarise yourself with your legal responsibilities with regard to children and the Internet, which can be found in our Acceptable Use Policy.
If you have a complaint about any aspect of our Privacy procedures, please contact our Privacy Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org. We will deal promptly with your complaint. If we cannot resolve the complaint to your satisfaction within a reasonable time, you or we may refer the complaint to the Privacy Commissioner.