How to install Google Analytics
Google Analytics is one of the most useful tools you can add to your website. Installing analytics gives you access to many site performance indicators: from traffic statistics, to the keywords visitors are using to find your page, Google Analytics can be used to measure and monitor your site’s stats.
Rather than provide an overview of the what and why, this blog will focus on the how: namely, how you can install Google Analytics on your site.
Before you begin
In order to get started, the first thing you’ll need is a Google Account. If you do not already have a Google Account, the sign-up process is straight-forward and you may attach your new account to any existing email address. To sign up, visit the following link: Google Account sign-up
Step-by-step guide to installing Analytics on your site
- Browse to http://www.google.com/analytics
- Log in using the email address and password for your Google Account
- In the “My Analytics Accounts” box on the top right, select “Create New Account…” from the drop down menu
- In “Sign Up for Google Analytics” click the “Sign Up” button
- Enter the following info:
- Your site’s URL (e.g. www.yourdomain.com.au)
- Account name (defaults to URL, change it if you like)
- Time Zone
- Click “Continue” to proceed to the next step.
- Enter your Contact info and click “Continue”
- Accept license agreement and click “Create New Account”
- Copy the Google Analytics tracking code displayed in the text box into notepad. The code must be inserted into each of your site’s pages before the closing HTML body tag. More information about how to do this can be found in Google’s support centre.
- Click the “Continue >>” button to finish.
- Copy and paste the tracking code from notepad into each of your site’s pages. Remember, the tracking code should be installed immediately before the closing body tag.
- Once you’ve added the code to your pages, click “Check Status” to verify that the tracking code has been correctly installed on your site. If tracking has been correctly installed, you will be notified that it has begun collecting data.