8 online diagnostic tools to improve your website’s performance
What is an online diagnostic tool?
An online diagnostic tool (or website diagnostic tool) is a software application that examines and monitors your site’s performance and helps identify opportunities for improvement.
Today, there are hundreds of online diagnostic tools available. Some of these tools are designed to analyse only one aspect of your website’s performance, for example its SEO, social media footprint, or compatibility with mobile devices. Other tools are all-in-one applications that give a comprehensive performance overview of your website across many areas. Some tools are free to use, while others require a monthly subscription fee.
In this article we will look at some of the most popular online diagnostic tools and weigh up their pros and cons.
In 2015 Google updated their algorithm to include whether or not a website was mobile friendly as a ranking signal.
What does that mean? It means if your website is not mobile friendly and someone on their mobile searches for you, you will rank poorly on the SERP (Search Engine Results Page) even if you spend a lot of money on AdWords campaigns.
Below are some free tools that will help determine how mobile friendly your site is.
Not sure whether your website passes the mobile-friendly criteria? WebCentral’s mobile-friendly tool can assist you in ensuring that all pages on your website deliver a smooth user experience to mobile users.
This test will analyse a URL and report on whether the page has a mobile-friendly design.
SEM+Social Channels diagnostic tools
Haystack is an online diagnostic tool built by Silktide. It provides a detailed analysis of businesses’ digital performance. Haystack is used as an aid for selling digital services, such as websites, local directories, online advertising and SEO.
Cost: from $70/month
- All-in-one online digital performance tool
- Haystack provides recommendations on how to improve your site’s problem areas
- Multiple users can log in at the same time
- Reports can be customised
- On the pricey side
- Other cheaper online tools provide very similar data
SEMrush is a competitive research service for online marketing. It offers insights into what keywords your competitors are bidding on and how much traffic they are generating from their efforts. SEMrush also offers monitoring of social media profiles.
Cost: from $69.95
- Generates one elegant summary report that can be white-labelled
- The recent addition of their “SEO Ideas” feature helps people optimise their website’s search ranking by suggesting specific optimisation ideas
- Plans offer 3000 reports per day
- Backlink analytics tool is not very strong
SEM Diagnostic Tools
Moz Pro is a complete SEO tool set. The core competency of Moz Pro is tracking keyword rankings. The Moz Pro site crawl feature will identify possible SEO issues.
Cost: from $99/month
- Provides keyword research, link building, site audits, and page optimisation insights
- Search Visibility Score shows overall rankings performance
- Offers community Q&A forum
- Offers a really useful educational resource tool
- Provides only SEO metrics
- Limited number of keywords per campaign
- Limited backlink tracking
Majestic (formally MajesticSEO) is a leading backlink history checker. With this tool we can track referring domains and backlinks to any URL. Where Majestic starts to differentiate itself is with the detailed reporting of new and lost backlinks and anchor text reports.
Cost: from £ 29.99/month
- Very good backlink history checker
- Link Intelligence API – have access to data behind world's most advanced link intelligence map
- Reports can be customised
- Mostly focused on backlink analysing
- Reports are not easy to read
Social Media Diagnostic Tools
A social media tool that analyses the last two weeks of activity compared to your competitors on Facebook. It provides data on your competitors’ position, relative performance and market share.
Cost: from $500/month
- Supports a wide range of social networking sites including Google+, Facebook and Twitter
- Offers unlimited data storage and scheduled reports in all the pricing plans
- Their customer support offers email and dedicated account management support
- Analyses only social media channels
- Offers only a 14-day free trial instead of 30 days like other similar tools
- Doesn’t offer custom reporting
A free Facebook analytics tool that provides high-level Facebook engagement metrics as well as recommendations.
- It’s free and you don’t even need to sign up for high level stats overview
- Easy-to-understand metrics
- Offers recommendations for improving problem areas
- Metrics are quite high level
- Does not generate a report document
All paid diagnostic tools offer a free trial period and quite a few of them also offer either dedicated customer support or an account manager.
If you need help understanding your website performance metrics or would like to find out more about your site’s SEO, request your free SEO consultation today.